For over 20 years UW-Extension’s Local Government Center
has been helping local government officials build their capacity to govern.
- Considering a Levy Limit Referendum? February 11, 2019Start planning now. Communication is key. For a PDF of this issue brief, click Tips for Levy Limit Referendums by Bradley Hanson, City Administrator/Clerk, City of Mondovi and Yunji Kim, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Planning and Landscape Architecture & Extension Specialist, Local Government Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension. […]
- Upcoming Local Government Programs February-March 2019 February 1, 2019Click here to open PDF of Upcoming Local Government Programs February-March 2019.
- Women and Running for Local Elected Office January 8, 2019Study reveals women don’t run because they don’t think they’re qualified. The record number of women just sworn in to the U.S. House of Representatives gave us images of government made up of lots of women with diverse backgrounds, however the reality in Wisconsin is that women do not run for public office in numbers proportional to the population. […]
- Upcoming Local Government Programs January-February 2019 December 28, 2018Click here to open PDF of Upcoming Local Government Programs January-February 2019
- News and Notices Fall 2018 December 7, 2018News and Notices Fall 2018 Local Government Issues, Challenges, and Strategies Teleconference Series begins December 2018 The Local Government Center offers the following series of teleconferences on these issues. Attend by phone and learn from your desk. Local Government Regulation of Nonferrous Mining – Unearthing Your Options December 11, 2018 Live, Work […]
- 2019 Local Land Use, Planning and Zoning Teleconference Series November 29, 2018These timely audio programs for Wisconsin local government officials, attorneys, land use planners and interested citizens begin on January 9, 2019. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Continuing Maintenance (CM), and Continuing Legal Education (CLE) accreditation applied for. Participation in live program qualifies for credit. Each 90-minute tel […]
- Recruiting the Next Generation of Local Elected Officials November 5, 2018This article, Recruiting the Next Generation of Local Elected Officials appears in the November 2018 issue of The Municipality.The authors are Jennifer Erickson, Melissa Kono, and Victoria Solomon, UW-Extension Community Development Educators and Dan Hill, UW-Extension Local Government Specialist, Retired. The article on page 12 builds on research begun in 2 […]
- 2018-2019 Local Government Issues, Challenges, and Strategies October 2, 2018Teleconferences from December 2018 through February 2019 Hear experts discuss current issues of concern to local government officials in Wisconsin–recruiting and retaining talent, nonferrous mining, downtowns, and farm economic trends. Each program is moderated by UW-Extension’s Local Government staff. There will be time for questions. All programs are from […]
- Encouraging Women to Run for Local Elected Office April 17, 2018Jennifer Erickson, Dan Hill, and Victoria Solomon have built on research begun in 2016. They just presented, “Leadership in Local Government: Encouraging Women to Run for Local Elected Office” at the UW Women’s & Gender Studies Consortium’s 41st Wisconsin Women and Gender Studies Conference, April 12-14, 2018 in Madison, Wisconsin. Their new research, ba […]
- Previous Local Government Center Programs for Purchase from 2018 March 14, 2018Programs from 2018 If you would like to order a USB thumb drive with the program and materials for $35.00 please contact our office.