For over 20 years UW-Extension’s Local Government Center
has been helping local government officials build their capacity to govern.
- Upcoming Local Government Programs October-November 2019 October 4, 2019Click here to open PDF of Upcoming Local Government Programs October-November 2019 revised.
- Upcoming Local Government Programs August-September 2019 August 1, 2019Click here to open PDF of Upcoming Local Government Programs August-September 2019 revised.
- News and Notices Spring 2019 June 26, 2019News and Notices Spring 2019 We’ve Moved The Local Government Center’s new address is: 702 Langdon Street, Suite 111 Madison, WI 53706 Center email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website and telephone numbers remain the same (see below). Choice of Two for 2019 Board of Review This year’s Board of Review training offers two choices: 1) How to Conduct […]
- 2019 Local Government Essentials Distance Education Series April 8, 2019This year’s programs are Alcohol Beverage Regulation and Licensing Part 1 on Monday, April 29, 2019 from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon. Part 1 will cover the basics on issuing and renewing alcohol licenses. Property Tax: The Good the Bad and the Ugly on Thursday, May 2, 2019 from 10:30 am to 12:00 noon. Learn […]
- Board of Review DVDs Now Available April 3, 2019The training DVDs for Board of Review (BOR) certification are now available from the Local Government Center. If you pre-ordered your BOR training DVDs and materials, the orders were sent out by U.S. Postal Service on Monday, April 1. For more information about the training and ordering the DVD, please visit the Board of Review […]
- Considering a Levy Limit Referendum? February 11, 2019Start planning now. Communication is key. For a PDF of this issue brief, click Tips for Levy Limit Referendums by Bradley Hanson, City Administrator/Clerk, City of Mondovi and Yunji Kim, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Planning and Landscape Architecture & Extension Specialist, Local Government Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension. […]
- Women and Running for Local Elected Office January 8, 2019Study reveals women don’t run because they don’t think they’re qualified. The record number of women just sworn in to the U.S. House of Representatives gave us images of government made up of lots of women with diverse backgrounds, however the reality in Wisconsin is that women do not run for public office in numbers proportional to the population. […]
- 2019 Local Land Use, Planning and Zoning Teleconference Series November 29, 2018These timely audio programs for Wisconsin local government officials, attorneys, land use planners and interested citizens begin on January 9, 2019. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Continuing Maintenance (CM), and Continuing Legal Education (CLE) accreditation applied for. Participation in live program qualifies for credit. Each 90-minute tel […]
- Recruiting the Next Generation of Local Elected Officials November 5, 2018This article, Recruiting the Next Generation of Local Elected Officials appears in the November 2018 issue of The Municipality.The authors are Jennifer Erickson, Melissa Kono, and Victoria Solomon, UW-Extension Community Development Educators and Dan Hill, UW-Extension Local Government Specialist, Retired. The article on page 12 builds on research begun in 2 […]
- Encouraging Women to Run for Local Elected Office April 17, 2018Jennifer Erickson, Dan Hill, and Victoria Solomon have built on research begun in 2016. They just presented, “Leadership in Local Government: Encouraging Women to Run for Local Elected Office” at the UW Women’s & Gender Studies Consortium’s 41st Wisconsin Women and Gender Studies Conference, April 12-14, 2018 in Madison, Wisconsin. Their new research, ba […]