For over 20 years UW-Extension’s Local Government Center
has been helping local government officials build their capacity to govern.
- Women and Running for Local Elected Office January 8, 2019Study reveals women don’t run because they don’t think they’re qualified. The record number of women just sworn in to the U.S. House of Representatives gave us images of government made up of lots of women with diverse backgrounds, however the reality in Wisconsin is that women do not run for public office in numbers proportional to the population. […]
- Upcoming Local Government Programs January-February 2019 December 28, 2018Click here to open PDF of Upcoming Local Government Programs January-February 2019
- News and Notices Fall 2018 December 7, 2018News and Notices Fall 2018 Local Government Issues, Challenges, and Strategies Teleconference Series begins December 2018 The Local Government Center offers the following series of teleconferences on these issues. Attend by phone and learn from your desk. Local Government Regulation of Nonferrous Mining – Unearthing Your Options December 11, 2018 Live, Work […]
- Position Opening: Outreach Program Manager in Division of UW-Madison Continuing Studies December 4, 2018This position helps deliver high-quality professional development programs that extend the University of Wisconsin-Madison brand, including the Certified Public Manager Program. Outreach Program Manager position description. Application deadline is December 19, 2018.
- Upcoming Local Government Programs December 2018-January 2019 November 30, 2018Upcoming Local Government Programs December 2018-January 2019
- 2019 Local Land Use, Planning and Zoning Teleconference Series November 29, 2018These timely audio programs for Wisconsin local government officials, attorneys, land use planners and interested citizens begin on January 9, 2019. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Continuing Maintenance (CM), and Continuing Legal Education (CLE) accreditation applied for. Participation in live program qualifies for credit. Each 90-minute tel […]
- New Date: Live, Work and Play is Dead teleconference now on January 17, 2019 November 21, 2018The teleconference, “Live, Work, and Play is Dead: Innovative Ways to Attract, Retain & Engage Talent” has been rescheduled from 10:00 am on Thursday, November 29, 2018 to 10:00 am on Thursday, January 17, 2019. Join us on January 17, 2019 and hear ten ways to engage Millennials and Gen Z including successful talent attraction case […]
- Recruiting the Next Generation of Local Elected Officials November 5, 2018This article, Recruiting the Next Generation of Local Elected Officials appears in the November 2018 issue of The Municipality.The authors are Jennifer Erickson, Melissa Kono, and Victoria Solomon, UW-Extension Community Development Educators and Dan Hill, UW-Extension Local Government Specialist, Retired. The article on page 12 builds on research begun in 2 […]
- Upcoming Local Government Programs November-December 2018 October 30, 2018Upcoming Local Government Programs November-December 2018
- 2018-2019 Local Government Issues, Challenges, and Strategies October 2, 2018Teleconferences from December 2018 through February 2019 Hear experts discuss current issues of concern to local government officials in Wisconsin–recruiting and retaining talent, nonferrous mining, downtowns, and farm economic trends. Each program is moderated by UW-Extension’s Local Government staff. There will be time for questions. All programs are from […]