For over 20 years UW-Extension’s Local Government Center
has been helping local government officials build their capacity to govern.
- 2019 Local Government Essentials Distance Education Series April 8, 2019This year’s programs are Alcohol Beverage Regulation and Licensing Part 1 on Monday, April 29, 2019 from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon. Part 1 will cover the basics on issuing and renewing alcohol licenses. Property Tax: The Good the Bad and the Ugly on Thursday, May 2, 2019 from 10:30 am to 12:00 noon. Learn […]
- Board of Review DVDs Now Available April 3, 2019The training DVDs for Board of Review (BOR) certification are now available from the Local Government Center. If you pre-ordered your BOR training DVDs and materials, the orders were sent out by U.S. Postal Service on Monday, April 1. For more information about the training and ordering the DVD, please visit the Board of Review […]
- Upcoming Local Government Programs April-May 2019 March 29, 2019Click here to open PDF of Upcoming Local Government Programs April-May 2019.
- Nine Town Officials Workshops Across the State in May March 29, 2019These in-person workshops for new and continuing town officials include topics like roles and responsibilities, open meetings, town road operations, eithics, and more. For more information, visit our Town Officials Workshop page. For dates, locations, cost and registration form, download the 2019 Town Officials Workshops brochure.
- Upcoming Local Government Programs March-April 2019 February 28, 2019Click here to open PDF of Upcoming Local Government Programs March-April 2019.
- Considering a Levy Limit Referendum? February 11, 2019Start planning now. Communication is key. For a PDF of this issue brief, click Tips for Levy Limit Referendums by Bradley Hanson, City Administrator/Clerk, City of Mondovi and Yunji Kim, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Planning and Landscape Architecture & Extension Specialist, Local Government Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension. […]
- Women and Running for Local Elected Office January 8, 2019Study reveals women don’t run because they don’t think they’re qualified. The record number of women just sworn in to the U.S. House of Representatives gave us images of government made up of lots of women with diverse backgrounds, however the reality in Wisconsin is that women do not run for public office in numbers proportional to the population. […]
- News and Notices Fall 2018 December 7, 2018News and Notices Fall 2018 Local Government Issues, Challenges, and Strategies Teleconference Series begins December 2018 The Local Government Center offers the following series of teleconferences on these issues. Attend by phone and learn from your desk. Local Government Regulation of Nonferrous Mining – Unearthing Your Options December 11, 2018 Live, Work […]
- 2019 Local Land Use, Planning and Zoning Teleconference Series November 29, 2018These timely audio programs for Wisconsin local government officials, attorneys, land use planners and interested citizens begin on January 9, 2019. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Continuing Maintenance (CM), and Continuing Legal Education (CLE) accreditation applied for. Participation in live program qualifies for credit. Each 90-minute tel […]
- Recruiting the Next Generation of Local Elected Officials November 5, 2018This article, Recruiting the Next Generation of Local Elected Officials appears in the November 2018 issue of The Municipality.The authors are Jennifer Erickson, Melissa Kono, and Victoria Solomon, UW-Extension Community Development Educators and Dan Hill, UW-Extension Local Government Specialist, Retired. The article on page 12 builds on research begun in 2 […]